Things to see and do
Top Ten things to see and do
1. Window on the Wetland Centre
Relax over a coffee, view the art gallery and enjoy information on the region’s environment, culture and heritage. Afterwards explore the Tiger Bay Wetlands next to the centre. Please contact 02 6847 3720.
2. Bird Watching at Tiger Bay Wetlands
Located on the outskirts of Warren on the Coonamble Road is the Tiger Bay Wetlands. The wetlands are a natural overflow of the Macquarie River system, and home to numerous species of birds and aquatic flora.
Stroll down Dubbo Street in Warren to discover its range of gifts, home wares, jewellery and fashion items.
4. Flora and Fauna at the Macquarie Marshes
One of the largest semi-permanent wetlands in south eastern Australia, the Macquarie Marshes, is located around 100km north of Warren. Containing extensive areas of reed, cumbungi, river red gum, coolibah and water couch grasslands, the Marshes support over 200 bird species.
The Macquarie Marshes Nature Reserve is managed by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS). The remaining 90% is private land. Publicly accessible areas include views of the reed beds at Monkeygar Creek and the viewing platform at Big Terrigal Creek both on Gibson Way.
From Warren, take the road to Carinda for just over 100km then turn right at the telephone tower into Gibson Way. Gibson Way is unsealed and not suitable for vehicles other than 4WD after rain. Please get local advice before driving as there are occasions where water crosses the road and makes it impassable even for a 4WD.
NPWS have rangers available to take visitors on tours on an as needed basis. Please contact 02 6843 4011.
Riversmart offer day trips to the Macquarie Marshes each year in spring. The tours depart from Dubbo as well as Warren. Please contact 1800 748 379. Please refer to the flyer for more information.
A variety of accommodation is available close to the Macquarie Marshes at Willie Retreat. Please contact 02 6824 4361.
Visit the Warren Golf Club on the Oxley Highway and play on a mixture of grass and sand greens. The 18 hole golf course has beautiful vistas of the Gunningbar Creek.
6. Wine Tasting
Tilleys Wines is located just 1km from the centre of Warren on Charles and Christine Tilley’s property, Darbalara. To arrange a tasting experience, please contact 0419 248 690.
Warren has numerous fishing spots all within 5km of town.
- Oxley Park Wharf: Located at Oxley Park on Oxley Highway.
- Bob Christensen Reserve / Bryan Egan Weir: follow the Oxley Highway out of Warren towards Gilgandra, turn left at Industrial Access Road and continue for 1.6km. There is a boat ramp and picnic tables at this site.
- The Warren Weir Reserve: Follow the Wambianna Road 4.3km from Warren. The reserve is on the right hand side.
- Quinines Reserve: Follow the Carinda Road 4.6km from Warren. The reserve is on the right hand side.
8. Country Pubs
For warm hospitality and an icy cold beer, be sure to visit the Nevertire Hotel and Collie Hotel. The Nevertire Hotel is a fifteen minute drive from Warren and the Collie Hotel is a thirty minute drive from Warren.
9. Heritage Walking Tour
The Warren Historical and Family History Society offers free walking tours by appointment. Please contact 02 6847 6665.
10. Walking and Cycleways
Discover the paved walking and cycle ways in Warren:
- The Rotary Centennial Trail: The end of Dubbo Street to the Warren Weir (9km roundtrip)
- The Beemunnel Trail: Tiger Bay Wetlands carpark to the Ewenmar Creek (4km roundtrip)
- Laurie Elder Trail: The Warren Golf Club to the railway crossing (2km roundtrip)
- Matthew Collins Trail: Charles Sturt Bridge to the Warren Sporting and Cultural Centre (2km roundtrip)
Group agricultural tours
Regional Platters is an agricultural guide designed for group tours to connect to producers in the central west region.
Flip through the guide, explore the products and plan your group’s visit to the region by contacting the producers directly or liaising with a tour operator. Look out for our local producers in the guide including Rosies Honey Mustard www.rosies.net.au and Gourmet Goat Lady www.thegourmetgoatlady.com.au
Download a copy of the Regional Platters Guide here
Any producers interested in being part of the program please contact Emma Welsh or Alison Ruskin Rowe at Warren Shire Council - (02) 6847 6600.